Cathy's Kitchen Prescription LLC
Artisanal Pizza and Bread Twists
A chewy airy crust with your favorite vegetable toppings , this pizza is full of flavor but low fat! Whole grain, vegan, no dairy/nuts /oils, it's bursting with flavor, kind to the waistline, and leaves you feeling great!
Makes 2 individual 9-inch pies
Prep time minimum 4 hrs
Cooking time 8-12 minutes
300 grams (c. 2 1/8 cups) organic whole white wheat flour
Up to 2 cups spring water, warmed to body temp
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 full cup good quality organic tomatoes, puréed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
½ cup of kalamata, gaeta or Lebanese black olives, rinsed, pitted, halved
1/3 cup capers, rinsed and drained
2 cups mixed grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
2 red onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
Light sprinkle of miso powder* to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
* Dehydrate shiro (white) miso paste or find online.
Helpful tools: pizza peel, pizza stone. If you don't have these, assemble and bake on a parchment-lined flat-edged baking sheet.
Options: Topping variations are infinite. Mix it up with no-oil sautéed mushrooms, raw salad greens, artichoke hearts, grilled or roasted peppers or asparagus. Swap the tomato purée for more cheesy sauce for a white pizza.
- Halve cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with thyme. Roast cut side up on parchment at 350°F/175°C for 30 minutes to sweeten and concentrate flavor. Dry sauté onion. Set both aside.
- Prepare pesto.
- Prepare cheesy sauce (see recipes).
Instructions for dough
- Preheat your oven to max 550F°. Insert pizza stone.
- Add 1 cup of the warmed water to large mixing bowl and sprinkle on the yeast. Wait 5 minutes for yeast to dissolve. Mix in the flour with a spoon, spatula or your hand, adding more water to create a soft, lightly sticky dough. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes in the bowl or on a floured board.
- Allow the dough to ferment and rise on your counter or a warm corner for about 3 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Remove dough. Stretch, fold, turn a few times, adding flour if it adheres to the board. To shape your pizza, divide dough in half and cover one with wrap to prevent drying.
- Move the other to a floured board, flour it on top and bottom, gently shape into a disc or oblong, using finger tips to stretch, spread and thin the dough, leaving a raised border. Move to a floured pizza peel and continue to prod it gently to stretch it into a thin crust with a raised border.
- Very lightly dust the surface with flour and decorate with your toppings. Working quickly, apply tomato purée lightly. Keep all wet ingredients to a minimum. Spoon on pesto and cheesy sauce. Sprinkle oregano, freshly ground pepper and a dehydrated miso to taste. Shake the peel periodically to ensure the dough moves freely on the peel.
- Transfer onto the pizza stone in the oven. Bake for 6 to 12 minutes, depending on pizza size and your max oven temp, or until crust has darkened in places and cheese is beginning to brown.
- Place on a rack to cool slightly. Slice up and dig in!
For Bread Twists
- On your work surface, dusted with flour, roll out dough thinly and evenly to a thickness of 1/16-inch.
- Cut into 1 by 4-inch strips, and separate the strips into two groupings.
- On grouping one spread on sauce and/or pesto. Top with cheesy sauce.
- Cover each with with a dough strip from group two.
- Twist several turns, press to seal the dough ends.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle with miso powder, pepper, oregano and bake at 550°F for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden and lightly toasted.
- Serve with seasoned tomato sauce or spinach-basil pesto for dipping.
top of page
Sign up for emails on super healthy, delicious plant-based recipes, cooking tips, events, announcements & the latest on plant-based nutritional research.
bottom of page