Cathy’s Kitchen Prescription LLC
Fagiolini in Umido
Stewed Green Beans with Potatoes
This simple, popular Tuscan side dish takes center stage in my plant-based kitchen and makes a tasty, nutritious, low-calorie/high fiber supper. Stewed gently in a rich tomato sauce renders the potatoes and beans melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious. For variations, embellish with a
sprinkle of chili flakes, a few tablespoons of whole black olives and/or capers. Serve with a crusty 100% whole grain bread to mop up all that tasty sauce.
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 40 minutes Serves 2-4
1 lb young green beans, stems removed
1 28-oz can or two 18-oz jars of good quality organic whole canned tomatoes
1 large onion, medium dice
No-sodium veggie broth to deglaze pan
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 russet potatoes, peeled, large dice
1 small bunch fresh basil, leaves and stems intact, washed well to remove any grit
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon aka (red) miso (1)
1) Miso is a good salt alternative that helps to lower blood pressure (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5313421/#:~:text=Miso%2C%20which%20is%20made%20from,%2C%20including%20salt%2Dsensitive%20hypertension).
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch beans for a 1-2 minutes to parcook only. Texture should be crisp but not raw. Do not overcook. Drain and plunge immediately in ice water to brighten color and halt cooking. Younger beans will blanch more quickly.
- Dry sauté onions in a large skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until softened and carmelized, stirring frequently. As the pan darkens and onions begin to adhere to the pan, deglaze with just 1-2 tablespoons of broth.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid. Use a potato masher or fork to break the tomatoes up into small pieces. Add basil bunch. Lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, stirring to cover with the sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add beans, stirring well
- Add chili flakes or olives or capers, if using now.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes and beans are quite tender.
- Season to taste. Cook for final minute.
- Discard basil and serve on warmed plates.