Cathy’s Kitchen Prescription LLC
Sweet Pepper Sauce
A simple, delicious sauce that’s a boon to all sorts of recipes and so easy to make:
- It’s delightful as a creamy topping for pastas, gnocchi, potatoes, and blanched veggies, smooth or chunky if you add (oil-free) sautéed vegetables
- It deepens the flavor and adds creaminess to casseroles and soups
- It’s dense enough to pipe onto canapes decoratively to add a splash of color and sweet, smoky taste
- Thinned with water, it even works well as a glaze on plant-based, oil-free pastries and piecrusts.
And I’d wager you’ll find even more uses for the flavorful, super nutritious, versatile sauce.
1 pound mixed color mini bell peppers, cored and deseeded
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon aka (red) miso • or to taste
Pinch of ground white pepper
• Miso is a good salt alternative that helps to lower blood pressure (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5313421/#:~:text=Miso%2C%20which%20is%20made%20from,%2C%20including%20salt%2Dsensitive%20hypertension.).
Options: Sweet Pepper Sauce is infinitely malleable and can be tweaked in many ways:
- For a spicier variation add your favorite ground hot chili powder
- Flavor with herbs and spices to adapt to various ethnic dishes, e.g. cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano, cilantro for a Mesoamerican slant
- Add mint, dill, and parsley to tilt Turkish
- Add cumin, coriander, black mustard seed, Thai chilis and curry leaves for South Asian dishes, etc.
Destem and core mini peppers. Dry roast on parchment paper in a 375°F/190°C oven for 20 minutes or until peppers have softened, collapsed and begun to darken. Don’t let them burn. Cool. If they’re lightly toasted, there’s no need to peel as the skin on these mini peppers is perfectly tender and digestible, and the little bit of char will lend an appealing smoky taste.
Throw in a high-speed blender with the miso and white pepper. Add some of the water and purée until smooth, slowly adding more depending on how you plan to use the sauce.
And that’s all there is to it! Stored in the fridge, sweet pepper sauce should last for about a week or you can freeze for later use.